Sunday, July 17, 2016

It has arrived!

Just as the title indicates, the beast has arrived!

The portable case is AMAZING.  Look at that burled wood pattern!  I have a feeling that the wood sewing machine cases used to be actual wood, instead of just wallpaper on a substrate, but who knows?  I did see this type of case in a YouTube video about the sewing machine, so mine is not a one-off thing!

The wood paper is coming off - I think I may find something from work to use instead.
Now about the sewing machine itself.  It definitely is a child of its time (if I could figure out what time that was).  I've read that "Dressmaker" only made sewing machines in the 50's/60's/70's, so this machine is at least 40 years old.  Also, based on the controls, and the belts and motor being on the OUTSIDE of the machine, I think it may be even older.
The color is definitely of 40-50 years ago. Bleh.
The machine itself is a "Dressmaker Deluxe Zig Zag 133", and it was made in Japan.  I have not been able to find this machine on the Internet.  I learned that back then, a lot of machines were made in Japan, sent over here, and then a manufacturer would stamp their name on it.  I did find this machine also under the "Universal" brand name.  Since the machine didn't come with a book, I scoured the internet and found the book for the "Deluxe Zig-Zag Sewing Machine", with no manufacturer's tag on it.  It looks like the machine I have, so I've been following those directions.

The machine only has straight and zig zag stitch, and two controls are required to set the zig zag: you turn the control to the width you want, then you lock it in place with the other knob!  The machine also has a button on the front to control the feed dogs - the settings are "normal", "silk", and "embroidery".  That's definitely new to me, and something to play with!  Also interesting about the machine is the needle and the base plate.  The needle is on the left side of the foot (not centered in the middle), and it threads from left to right.  Also, the plate has no seam allowance markings on it, so I guess I will have to make my own!!  I wonder if I could perhaps find a plate for it that does have the allowances.  Close to my apartment we do have a sewing machine and vacuum repair shop, so I'm thinking of heading up there one day to ask some questions and perhaps get it cleaned up.  I also want to get some re-wiring done on the machine - the coating is a bit thin in some places.  I'd rather figure out how to do it myself, but we'll see if I actually do that.

I do have some projects I want to get started with on this machine.  First, dinner napkins.  I know, I know, super simple - but I want to figure out stitches and if I can do a straight line and if the tension is correct!  I also would like to make another ditty bag, as well as pillowcases for our existing pillows.  Check out our two fabric options:
We love foxes in this house!

Please note giant zucchini in the background.  Approximately the size of a human baby.

They are exceptionally different from one another, so I've pinned them up and put them in the living room to see how we like them.  I'm leaning towards the non-foxy one. It's blue, not black, but I think it's not too garish for our space.  It'll take me a while to get to it, I don't even have any zippers yet!

In knitting news, I did a couple of rows on my Honey Cowl, so it looks about the same.  I've also been asked to make some coasters for a friend, so I need to get on that since she's leaving in a few weeks.

That's about it for this week, see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment