Sunday, January 3, 2016

Happy New Year!

Hello Friends!

Happy New Year!  I hope everyone had a lovely holiday season with friends, family and tasty tasty noms!  Just wanted to send a quick update for now, but my New Year's Resolution is at least 2 posts a month!  Let's hope it happens this time!  Sigh.  There needs to be some sort of repercussion if I don't actually do it, but I'm not sure where that would actually come from.  Or maybe I only get to bake chocolate chip cookies if I actually do my two posts.  We'll see!

Speaking of baking, I baked an apple crumble for our New Year's Eve party!  I got the book How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman and used the recipes in there.  It's a great book, I am so excited about it!  We also made the quick-cook bok choy on another day - FANTASTIC.


This was our appetizer spread, with hand-tagged cheeses

Apple crumble/streusel tastiness!

Over the holiday, I went home to H-town.  I was attempting to knit a hat for my dad for Christmas.  However, as I had the sneaky suspicion his head is way bigger than mine, I had only completed the brim by the time I got home.  Which was lucky, because his head is a full 1.5" bigger in circumference than mine!  As you can imagine, in a 4-day trip with lots of time out of the house with friends and beer, I didn't quite finish the hat.  It currently looks like this:


It is Tin Can Knits Gather hat, which they had offered for free over their "12 Days of Christmas" giveaway!  This pattern is well-written and easy to follow, plus it doesn't require so much focus that I can't watch the X-files while knitting it!  Success!

Another awesome thing about going home - there's a garage, with tools.  AND an old man who likes tinkering around with said tools.  Meet my new yarn swift:


The yarn swift is made out of 1/2" PVC pipe (left over from my sister's project), 2x4 lumber (from somewhere in the garage), a fan motor that my dad had at his old deli, carriage bolts as pegs, with wingnuts for securing in place.  The arms can be taken off and stored separately from the box below.  All we spent was $7 for the new bolts and nuts.  It's pretty sweet.  Runs really smooth and gives my boyfriend a reprieve from holding the yarn while I wind.

Alright, that's all for my quick update.  Next time, I hope to have some swatches completed for another project!

J




No comments:

Post a Comment